i have taken care of the fungus problem in my 30 gallon tank. so i got to move spak and company back in there. i gave spak a little coffee cup to hide in, he loves it. and i love it too...now he can feel safe and hidden and not be squished down between 2 rocks where i can't see him.
isn't he a little cutie?
funny too. he'll run at me waving his claws over his head like he's gonna attack. he's usually just lazing about in his little coffee cup throne, or attacking the plastic plants. sometimes he'll crawl on top of the cup to attack teh fish/try to escape.
(if i get any crawdad eating jokes in my comments, i might have to hurt you in ways you won't find pleasurable)
mine was fungus.... so i used malachite green for 48 hours (after i had taken out my critters)
to get rid of algae... i recommend aquatic plants, as they choke out the minerals the algae need to survive. i'd dip the plants in a very weak bleach solution (1 part bleach to 20 parts water) for 2 minutues, maybe 3 for thicker leaved plants, to kill the algae already on them.
anything with copper in it will kill algae, but if you have invertebrates of scaleless fish it'll kill them as well.
i've had aquariums since i was 5 or 6... so yeah, i know a fair amount. especially about loaches plecostomus' (although i can't spell it) and tetras. i'm just now learning the advanced stuff... like cycling and chemicals and stuff.